1. TWINKL TASKS - Click the link to download the free Twinkl Tasks! 2. ART - Based on what you have read so far, draw or paint a picture of the setting. You can use details from the novel to make your representation look realistic, or you can interpret the setting abstractly, using only colors and shapes to give a feeling of the isolated, parched camp.
3. Write a description of Stanley. Illustrate your description with a detailed drawing of Stanley.
4. Make a map of Camp Green Lake.
5. RESEARCH - Select one of the creatures that inhabit the desert at Camp Green Lake (Lizards, Scorpions or Rattlin’ Snakes) and research about them. Where does it live? What does it eat? What is the most interesting fact about the creature you selected? Present your information in a poster with illustrations.
6. HANDS ON - Dig a hole in your school the exact same size as the holes in the story (5 feet by 5 feet). You could bury a time capsule or some kind of treasure in your hole.
7. VOCABULARY - Find the meaning for the following words. Perseverance p8, Desolate p11, Excavated p34, Preposterous p34, Grimaced p39.
8. WRITING - Make up a set of rules for Camp Green Lake. Include the rules mentioned so far and make up some of your own.
9. MINECRAFT - Use your map from task 3 to create Camp Green Lake on Minecraft.
Twitter Chat Questions
1. Can you please share any tasks that you have completed this week. Try and leave a reply on someone else's creation.
2. Why does Stanley go to Camp Green Lake? Have you ever been accused on something you didn't do? How do you think Stanley was feeling?
3. Do you think it’s true that digging holes can turn a bad person into a good one? What's something unpleasant that you have done before?
4. The author says that a good inventor needs to have intelligence, perseverance and luck. Do you agree? Explain your answer.
5. Why does Stanley’s great-great Grandfather have a curse on him? Do you believe in curses?
6. Why do you think the boys prefer to be called by their nicknames at Camp Green Lake? Do you have a nickname? What is it?
7. Stanley feels like he is holding ‘destiny’s shoes’. Do you believe there is such a thing as destiny? Explain.
8. Based on what you have read so far, do you think Stanley has made the right choice in coming to Camp Green Lake? Why?
9. Stanley feels proud of his first hole when it is finished. Why? Describe a time when you felt proud?
10. What do you think of the story so far? What do you think will happen next?